Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Year in Reflection



Wow! I always find myself in awe of how fast a year seems to go by. So many things happened this year, and I admit it wasn't the easiest. In January, I started my very first "big girl" job working for a media company. I am still there today and love it. It feels so good to be earning my own money and having a little extra to spend. I am so thankful that I was able to get a job in this economy.

In April, I came down with a case of the flu. I was home all weekend and happened to stay home from church that day. I remember laying in bed when my phone rang. My Mom called me crying to tell me that my Dad was in an accident while on vacation in a different state. It was bad. Really bad. They didn't expect him to even live through the night, and I knew I had to get there to be with him. I wasn't able to get any information on my dad at all. It was the scariest moment of my life. Through his brothers and the persistence of my amazing mom, I was able to find out that he was hit on the highway at a very high speed. One of my Uncles rushed to my apartment (nearly 2 hours away from his own home) to bring me back to my Mom's house. We hardly slept that night and another uncle picked us up early in the next morning to head 12 hours away to the hospital he was in. It was terrifying. I remember praying just begging God to let me be able to tell him I love him. I was begging that he would be able to hold on for that. When we got to West Virginia, we signed into the ICU and received badges to enter. The first time I saw Dad was the hardest. I remember praising Jesus that he was holding on to life and at the same time I could hardly breathe. I walked into that room and saw him. I remember his head being so swollen it was the size of a basketball. He was unrecognizable. I was told not to touch him as so many bones were broken. I remember walking out into the hallway after my 2 minutes with Dad were up and collapsing to the floor crying. I was able to go in later that night and talk to him before the ICU closed to visitors. That night my family just walked around downtown and explored. I remember going out to dinner and not eating a thing on my plate because of the constant stream of calls I was getting. Throughout the next few days (the ones he wasn't even supposed to be alive through) Dad made many improvements. I looked through some of my facebook statuses to look back on what they were, and thought I'd share them with you:


April 24: My daddy knew I was there! SO EXCITED! The nurse told him "you have someone in the room for you! Vince, open up your eyes!" He opened and I told him I was there. The nurse had him show me how he wiggled his toes and fingers. As soon as the nurse left the room, dad started wiggling those toes like crazy- just showing off now! :) It was amazing to see a little bit of his humor even during this. Keep praying! Our God is hearing them. Little miracles are happening all over.

April 25: I was able to give daddy a kiss! I asked him if I could and he nodded. He also smiled! Just a little one, but it still meant the world. It's in the little things.

June 6: Just heard Dad's voice for the first time since the accident. :) Such a miracle! So thankful he was able to call me tonight!

July14: Praising Jesus that my dad was released from the hospital and able to go home Friday! God has worked incredible miracles since April. So thankful he spared my dad's life!


It's amazing to me to look back at those. Thinking someone is going to die and realizing Jesus is going to spare them is an amazing feeling. I remember at the beginning the doctors saying he could be in a different state for an entire year. Within 4 months he was released. God is spectacular. Dad just had another surgery yesterday (he will probably still have tons) and is dealing with his pretty severe brain injury, but he's doing awesome in contrast to where he could have been. 



In May, my adorable hubby directed his very first play. I was SO proud of him! The kids did a fabulous job, and he was absolutely amazing with them. 



We helped out with many school events during the year, since he teaches at a very small school. It was so fun to stay involved and serve God there. 

He completed his very first year of teaching at the end of May, so we had a huge amount of open houses to attend. He is an incredible, fantastic man!



His Summer was spent recuperating and preparing for the next year. We spent so much time with friends and are super lucky to live by the Great Lakes. 



We also were introduced to a new niece (actually born last year but she lives so far away!) and two new nephews this year! We love our amazing nieces and nephews so much and it's always so exciting to meet them.








On June 9th, my Mom graduated. I cannot even tell you how proud of her I am. I know going back to school wasn't easy for her, but she did it and stuck with it. She is my hero. She is the strongest person I know, and constantly makes herself a role-model for me. 

Last week, my mom found out she scored her first job! I couldn't stop smiling! I knew it was going to happen, but just hearing that news made me squeal. She is incredible. I know she's going to do amazing at her new job, and will be a huge asset to the company. 



Earlier this month we lost our sweet 15 year old puppy. She was a huge part of our family and we miss her every day. 



My gorgeous little sister lived at a camp for the majority of the year serving Jesus. She is so awesome! She is such a beautiful, hardworking, strong girl! She was amazing when Dad's accident happened and was strong for me. I'm so thankful for her. 



It's amazing how much happens in a year. When I look back, I can hardly believe it. We faced so much loss, shed many tears, celebrated lots of happy times, and gained a million new memories. Although this year wasn't easy, I'm so thankful for each event that has happened. I know it has been shaping me into a better person. I'm thankful that God's plans are better than my own. 


Here's to high hopes and many memories for next year! I'm thankful for all of you and wish you the best in the year to come. 

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment