Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tea Time! The London Fog

While I was away at college, I was offered a job at our school's coffee shop to help pay my tuition. Naturally, I over-enthusiastically accepted without hesitation. All seemed to be fine and dandy until I walked in on the very first day and realized that I had never even turned on a coffee pot in my 18 years of living. Suddenly my enthusiasm turned to dread as I faced my new found enemy in the form of over-priced espresso machines and entirely too many choices of flavored syrup. I vividly remember my first customer coming in with her boyfriend and ordering a fancy blended beverage that "all the other people make for her." Really? My menu choices consisted of the 5 drinks I had scribbled on a cheat sheet for the day. I asked in desperation if she knew how the "others" made this so-called beverage and tried my best to make it. I handed over her death potion drink and watched as she went to make eye babies study with her boyfriend. I was almost in the clear until she took her first sip. I will never forget the look of disgust that came across her face as she spit out the mystery drink. Of course the little weasel insisted I make it at least another 4 times until she finally gave up. Ai yi yi! Thankfully, over the course of the time I worked there my barista skills greatly improved. People were able to drink my concoctions without spewing them out! Hooray! Late in the semester, the bosses added a new drink on our menu. The London Fog, as it was called quickly became my favorite hot drink in the world. Although I don't have any fancy machines to make it here, I make a pretty simple alternative at home. It's a great pick-me-up on those extra cold afternoons, and I'm sure it will be a great addition to your next evening spent at home cuddling up with your Jane Austen novels.


What you will need: 
Vanilla Coffee Syrup- I bought mine at Target (duh!) 
Earl Gray Black Tea (you can venture into other teas with this recipe too!) 
Milk
Water
A Mug


Directions: 
Fill your mug (or pot) half way with water and half way with milk. Add around 4 tablespoons of the vanilla syrup. Heat on stove top until hot or microwave for 2 minutes. Put in tea bag and let seep. After a few minutes, bounce the tea bag in your mug to mix everything together. Voila! 

This drink is so simple, but SO yummy. It's definitely my favorite way to prepare tea. 

Happy Tuesday! 



No comments:

Post a Comment